Search This Blog

Sunday 8 January 2012

What do I want from my diet?

"Pay attention to the negative effects that your current diet and lifestyle have on your body, moods and energy levels. Start a journal recording what you eat and drink throughout the day and how you feel as a result. When you start making positive changes to your diet, you'll appreciate all of the results--not just the weight loss." -Skinny Bitch

---

I first read Skinny Bitch back in 2008 and swore I would never eat animal products again. Well, life happened and I forgot about how deeply moved I was when reading the book. Over the next 3 years I would switch back and forth from an old fashioned flesh eating diet, to a vegetarian diet, to a pescitarian diet, to periods of raw foods and cleanses...but I could never commit, I could never seem to stay on track. I never knew exactly what I wanted out of my diet.

Over the past year, really the past 6 months, I have thought increasingly about what kinds of foods and food sources I REALLY feel comfortable eating. It is easy to eat a piece of chicken if you don't think about what the food source actually is or what kind of life that chicken endured to end up on your plate.

I educated myself. It is hard to do, but necessary.

I was able to regain that passion that I first felt when I read Skinny Bitch years ago. I watched several documentaries including Earthlings, Forks over Knives and Food Inc. I've read so many books that I have taught me so much about health and nutrition and how important our diet is to our overall wellbeing.

I want health. I want radiance. I want to live a life that is peaceful and free from animals and the fear they bear for the sake of human consumption.

My goal for the upcoming week is to introduce more raw foods into my daily diet. This will include big salads with lots of raw veggies, more fruit and I might even bust out my old juicer and give it a whirl!

1 comment: